Ribbon, we all have it, probably by the bucket load or is that just me?
|Part of my ribbon scraps, all hung on a clothes hanger|
There's only one problem; I've stopped using ribbon. For this article I decided I needed to come up with a range of ideas for using up ribbon (small amounts, large amounts, lacy, plain ....)
So, what can we use ribbon for? Cards, scrapbook pages, closures for mini books, binding books .... I thought I would come up with a few idea's before putting some into practice and this is what I came up with:
- creating texture on a scrapbook page (try using ribbon along with strips of paper to create your own stripy background);
- creating lacy flowers (use a running stitch down the inside edge of the ribbon and then bunch it up and tack sew the two edges together), finish by adding a button to hide your stitching;
- creating a frame around a stamped image on a card or as a frame on a scrapbook page;
- create a simple bow for a card with a message (clean and simple);
- lay ribbon behind a cut out to create a subtle, but textural background on a scrapbook page;
- stick strips of ribbon to a card to create a statement;
- stitch on a scrap of ribbon and attach to a tag (note this is a shop tag, but I'll be using this idea in the future!);
- Concertina fold ribbon from side to side before wrapping ribbon around the outside to create a funky bow.
Or you could get really fancy and try adding more concertina's. I thought this would make a great tree shape on a scrapbook page, maybe tied with wire.
One of my favourite embellishments for cards is a plain ribbon tied with fancy edges and buttons. It's not complicated, but it looks striking and is fantastically quick if you are in a rush.
I've shown a number of different ways to use up ribbon and now I'm determined to bust some of that stash. I'll be the one in front of the tv creating ribbon flowers and funky bows for presents. What will you be making with your ribbon?
These are my finished scrapbook pages.
On this page I've used ribbon, acetate, vellum, foam letters, lace and stickers so there's plenty of texture.
This page is all about my friend's bump so I wanted it to be bright and happy without taking away from the bump.
As my friend is wearing red I could get away with a multitude of colours without detracting from her.
Come and show us your creations on Facebook or put on your links in the comments section. I'd love to see what you make.